Sunday, September 7, 2008

Pour on the Salt, Turn on the Light

My heart was stirred and challenged today in both Sunday school and church. In Sunday school we have been learning about the covenant relationship we can have with Christ and exactly what that looks like. As I listened and we read God's word I was once again amazed that the God of the Universe desires a relationship with me, despite my shortcomings and failures. I'm so thankful that I didn't have to DO anything to earn His love and grace, because that would have been impossible. But I was also reminded that we should never view our salvation simply as our "ticket" into Heaven. While it does guarantee that, we should desire to live our lives in a way that's pleasing to Him, because we want to!!!! We also talked about how important it is to deal with sin in our lives immediately when the Holy Spirit convicts us of it. The more we let it go the more we become numb to it and before we know it it doesn't even bother us anymore. As the Casting Crowns song says, it's a "slow fade." Lives don't just crumble in a day. It happens with letting sin sneak into our lives in small ways and not addressing it and dealing with it until we are totally off track. It was a good lesson.

In the main service we have been looking at what it means to be "salt and light" in our world. My heart was challenged as we talked about asking God to put people on our hearts to pray for and reach out to. If we don't tell them about Jesus, maybe no one ever will. Help me, Lord to be intentional about being aware of those around me who don't know you or have moved away from you. If I am not serious about that, then everything else I do is really useless.

No comments: